In January 2013 we launched a 15 month project of engagement and outreach with the Sunset Park community about preservation to learn what residents think about the dramatic exterior changes being made to 100+ year old rowhouses and how they feel about landmarking to protect the row houses.
What we did:
- Canvassed 15 blocks and spoke with more than 400 homeowners.
- Held more than 16 outreach events throughout the neighborhood, in the park, on the sidewalks, and at the Fifth Ave Street Fair.
- Gave 7 walking tours highlighting the history and cultural diversity of Sunset Park and discussing the need for both affordable housing and preservation.
- Met with elected officials.
- Met with Community Organizations and Institutions: Community Board 7, UPROSE, Sunset Park 5th Ave BID, Chinese-American Planning Council, Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce, Bethelship Norwegian United Methodist Church, and Fifth Avenue Committee.
March 2014 - submitted our Request For Evaluation (RFE) to the Landmarks Preservation Commission, which you can see on our Downloads page.
March 2015 - took the Landmarks Preservation Commission on a trolley tour of the study area.